Thursday, September 25, 2014

Thirty in 30, Day 26 ~ "Cocka-doodle-doo"

What does the rooster say... I had fun today, I painted a proud Red Rooster with four different approaches. Reference photo from PMP, Gary Jones.
I painted on a half sheet of Arches cold press 140lb. weight with Daniel Smith Paints. I used four brushes, two mops, a 1" flat and a liner, seen in the photo to the left.
The first Rooster I did a light sketch & wet the background in plain water.
I then, using my larger mop brush, layed down a wash on the bird allowing it to bleed to the outside. I continued with washes of wet on dry using all of the colors. As I painted, the wet on dry, turns into wet into wet which allows blending and bleeding. I like that :) I take a thirsty brush, the 1" flat and pulled some lights out here and there, finally I go in with a liner and my darks, pushing areas back and pulling areas to the foreground.
this next one I didn't do a pencil sketch, I just went right in. Wet onto dry adding clear water to blend. I used my mop brushes and pulled out highlights with my flat. I again used my liner to add detail. After the bird was painted I wet the background and charged in some pigment.
for the third attempt I painted onto dry paper, I used my 1" flat for almost the entire process, I did details with the liner, like around the eyes and some fine lines for feathers.
Finally on the last one I went crazy, kukoo, no wait...that's a different bird ;) I did a light sketch and wet the entire area. Yikes, yup I let it bleed. It actually is fun to watch the pigment do what the pigment likes to do, run baby run! Wet on wet, I dripped and I dropped. It amazes me how much pigment a wet piece of paper will take and turn the darkest darks into pale washes. *Attention folks, lesson there :)...always go darker than you think when your laying down washes. They simply fade away when they dry. I pulled out lights with my thirsty brush and with a straight on paper towel. In the end I used my liner quite a bit, loaded and loose. Well that's it. I truly think there is no "right way" to paint. I think it's about enjoying it. Trying things, letting happy accidents happen. I think that is why I love watercolor, the less I try to control it, the better it becomes. Have fun folks get out there and have a splishy splashy day :) thanks for looking!

2 comments:

  1. They ALL look great! Thanks for the wip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Tam :) and thank you for the nice words. I love a WIP, always neat to see the artist's methods :)

      Delete